In this episode, we speak with Dr. Daniel Jean. He is a college administrator ,author, motivational speaker, playwright, trainer and poet. He is founder of Wordstravel, an organization offering edutainment and educational services for all ages including swagger seminars, student workshops, corporate trainings, theater, life coaching, consulting hip-hop music workshops, etc.
We cover the following:
- "Edutainment" and the use of the arts for greater effectiveness in reaching the students of today in finding their purpose/passion.
- Knowing how your department/organization interacts at every phase of the opportunity pipeline (Prospect, Admissions/Orientation, Student, Alumni).
- Respecting other domains/disciplines of knowledge like marketing to ensure your success. Hint: Your department isn't the center of the universe. You have to get out there and get help if you need it.
- Take a "organizational" audit and find areas of growth and opportunity.
- Create a STRATEGIC PLAN and get assistance from other organizations/services.
- The power of data driven decisions to make your case for investments and additional resources.
- The power of calling students "scholars" in messaging your values through expectations.
- What can the future of higher education look like? What role does entrepreneurial play in this future?
- His thoughts on being an entrepreneur and how to cultivate and nurture that spirit in higher education and self-education.